5. The Office. I was first introduced to the Office a couple of years ago…when it was still pretty good. While it never will be able to call itself original (it’s a re-production of the BBC show with the same name), Michael Scott and the crew keep the laughs coming, and I keep laughing…although not the ‘pee my pants’ laughter of the previous seasons. It’s still one of my favorites.
4. Big Bang Theory. I put this show ahead of the Office because at least it’s a little more original, and the story has not been stretched out like every other show that will continue until the last person who was watching has died. Sheldon is hilarious. I think I also just like nerd humor–I’ve always found myself more comfortable with nerds and dorks than the cool kids.
3. How I Met Your Mother. One of my favorite new discoveries this past year. I know it has been around for a couple of years, but I’m just catching up (this is a recurring theme in my pop culture life). Barney Stinson, you are ridiculous! Yeah, it’s unashamedly directed at my generation, and I’m grateful for it.
2. Glee. My latest, and greatest, discovery. Finally, on a slow afternoon in the summer heat, I looked it up on Hulu to watch the ‘Ballad’ episode as my first, and ‘Endless Love’ as the opening song. I was hooked. Sure, it’s completely unrealistic, with some poor story lines and character development, but how can you not smile when the musical genre has finally met prime time television? Did I mention that I was in show choir in high school?
1. 30 Rock. It may not be flashy, it may not be the newest thing in the world, but it’s the most reliably hilarious show around. The characters are AWESOME. Jack Donaghy, you are great. The stories are original, and the humor is great on several levels. I would recommend this show to anyone who appreciates great writing, great characters, and a great story.
Honorable Mention: Family Guy. Yeah, it’s not the most appropriate show on earth. To be honest, the first time I ever watched it was at church. Brian and Stewie, you are a great pair. Still one of my favorite shows after a long day with a cold beverage.